Chairman & CEO – Building Durability
John is the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Building Durability group of companies – Building Durability Pty Ltd, TA Taylor (Aust) Pty Ltd and Research & Applied Technologies Pty Ltd.
John’s personal expertise includes extensive knowledge and experience in the durability of buildings and building materials, in concrete spalling investigation analysis and repair, in waterproofing diagnostics and rectification methodology, in structural facade maintenance and repairs and in historic building conservation. He is particularly skilled in the analysis of problems related to poor building fabric and material performance, and waterproofing whether these problems are due to product failures, to construction defects, to design detailing or to product and building misuse.
John has also resided as Chairman of the Board of the TIANAO Building Repair Materials Limited in TIANJIN China. The Joint Venture was set up in 1994 to expand the waterproofing and concrete repair technology of the Building Durability Group of Companies into China and to provide Technical ‘know how’ to the China Materials Research Institution in Tianjin. This company continues to trade as a very successful materials testing and manufacturing organization. Prior to Building Durability, for 20 years John owned and operated the company Geoff Maiden Partners Pty Ltd (operating on the Gold Coast Queensland) a leading Geotechnical Engineering and Soil testing organisation.
He is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management, a Fellow of the Australia Institute of Building, a Member of the Institute of Arbitrators Australia. He holds a full Builder’s Licence in NSW, the ACT in Qld and Victoria and is a Chartered Builder. He has been an Associate Lecturer at the University of Technology, Sydney for over 15 years and was for many years a member of the Building Industry Steering Committee for that University. He is a member of the American Concrete Institute and the Concrete Institute of Australia. He has served on a number of Committees in the Building Industry including the Steering Committee for the Concrete Repair Programme undertaken by the Building Research Centre. He has also served as an inaugural member on the Board of the Australian Concrete Repair Association ACRA.
John lectures from time to time on building defects, building waterproofing, building maintenance and building asset management at various Sydney Universities and has been a guest speaker for bodies including Building Science Forum of Australian, The Property Council of Australia, The Australian Institute of Management, The Australian Institute of Building, The Concrete Institute of Australia, The Institute of Engineers and many others. John also provides seminars to Major Builders in these fields of his expertise.
Projects & Clients
John’s direct involvements include:
- Sydney Harbour Tunnel
- Twin Brisbane Rail Tunnel Roma Street By-pass
- The roof of Centrepoint Tower when it was first constructed.
- Kogan Creek Power Station for South East Queensland.
- Consultancy in Exploratory Works:
- Major projects for the Council of the City of Sydney, investigation and rectification of water leaks to commercial high-rise structures in the Sydney and Brisbane CBD.
- Building Facade Audits in Canberra for the Australian Government and overseas for the overseas property department of the Australian Government, and in Katherine for the Department of Defence, and in Sydney for the NSW Government, for Sydney Water and other major property owners.
- Waterproofing Consultancy and Expert Witness Services:
- Major Commercial Building Companies and Clients including Multiplex, Civil & Civic, Baulderstone Hornibrook, Hansen & Yunken, Watpac, The Council of The City of Sydney, and a large number of Owners Corporations, Bodies Corporate, property manages including Knight Frank, CBRE, Jones Lang LaSalle and others.
- Building Investigation Services:
- Building Investigation Services in matters of Building Code of Australia, Fire Services and Structural investigation through alliance with the other specialist organisations.
John’s personal involvement with building asset management, maintenance waterproofing and building durability extends from 1969 to the present day and he has been involved in projects on structures all over Australia and internationally. Other projects include Green Island Wharf, Port Elma salt loading terminal; commercial multi–storey buildings in Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne; various wharf structures in Townsville, Rockhampton and Brisbane; Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast high–rise structures; Sydney commercial buildings; sewers & tunnels; silos in Melbourne, Geraldton, Adelaide and Davenport.
- B.A Macq – Bachelor Arts Macquarie University Double Major Mathematics & Computing. B.Sc. App (Building) – Class 1 Hons. Bachelor of Applied Science (Building) with University Medal equal First. Australian Institute of Building Medal
- F.A.I.M: Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management
- F.A.I.B; Fellow of the Australian Institute of Building
- M.I.A.A; Member of the Institute of Arbitrators Australia
- Associate Lecturer UTS; University of Technology Sydney
- Chartered Builder – Full Builders Licence in Qld, N.S.W, A.C.T &Vic.
- Justice of the Peace for over 20 years